Saturday, March 24, 2007

Results Update - March 24, 2007

On Wednesday, I finished 5th in the Liz and Brandon $20 Freezeout. In a game where aces with a jack kicker is normally good, my AJ ran into AQ and I failed to get away from it. Other than that, my only regret is that my seat didn't offer a better view of Liz.

My friend, Mr. Krumbine, who usually hosts the Thursday night game, was recently shipped off to Iraq, so I hosted the 'Krumbine $100' for the first time. I had to scramble to buy a poker table since I left my other table at a friend's place, but it all worked out. We took advantage of the warm weather and played out on the covered patio in the backyard, much to the delight of all the smokers. But most importantly, I achieved a $17.54 hourly rate over the 6.5 session for a net profit of $114.

While doing an online price comparison for poker tables that morning, I stumbled upon a local poker group which happened to be holding a $1/$2 no limit cash game the following evening. I signed up for the game primarily with the intention of finding some new blood for my Thursday game. Not sure if I succeeded in that respect, but I was certainly happy with the session that I had: $91.67 hourly rate over 6 hours for a net profit of $550. The game was comprised primarily of tight-aggressive players who were probably better suited for tournament play, and I felt like I held the post-flop advantage over most of them. If they hold the game with any regularity, it will be a good candidate to add to the schedule.

As for online play, I registered for a $4.40 PokerStars freezeout on Thursday and finished 38th out of 180. The biggest mistake I think I made was that I let myself get desperate before I was truly short-stacked and called an all-in with 77. I consider myself a pretty good short stack player (probably because I get so much practice), but I never gave myself a chance to prove it this time around.

I also just finished a $3.30+Rebuy with 2780 runners. Things were going smoothly until the following hand:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed)
MP2 (t15345)
MP3 (t6525)
CO (t6775)
Button (t1599)
RandomFlask (t22599)
BB (t5253)
UTG (t5934)
UTG+1 (t12772)
MP1 (t22299)

Preflop: RandomFlask is SB with 8h, 8s.
3 folds, MP2 raises to t400, 3 folds, RandomFlask calls t300, 1 fold.

Flop: (t900) 2h, 8d, 3s (2 players)
RandomFlask bets t800
, MP2 raises to t5600, RandomFlask calls t4800.

Turn: (t12100) 4s (2 players)
RandomFlask bets t4000, MP2 raises to t9320, RandomFlask calls t5320.

River: (t30740) 7s (2 players)

Final Pot: t30740

Results:
RandomFlask has 8h 8s (three of a kind, eights).
MP2 has 2s Js (flush, jack high).

Outcome: MP2 wins t30740.

I did manage to get this player to put all of his chips in on the turn when I was over 80% to win the hand. But this being a tournament, there's still a part of me that wonders if I should've made a bigger bet on the turn rather than inducing a bluff with a weak lead. The funny thing is, had it been a cash game, I would've been elated with my play despite the end result. I'll have to take some time to ponder this one.

No comments: