Sunday, March 25, 2007

Minimizing losses from the blinds

I'll let you in on a little secret: I don't like it when people attack my blind.

I know this is the case for a lot of players, but I probably lose way more money from the blinds than I should due to the fact that I never give a player any credit once I've made up my mind that I'm up against a steal attempt.

I had such a blow-up earlier today when I dropped a whole buy-in at a $.25/$.50 NL cash game on UltimateBet. The player to my right had only been at the table for about a dozen hands, but I had already tabbed him for an aggressive player who liked to make moves after the flop:

Hand #40568179-5554 at Zwiggelte (No Limit Hold'em)
Started at 25/Mar/07 10:03:03


alange is at seat 0 with $14.45.

Abdul_Akhmed is at seat 1 with $64.30.
RandomFlask is at seat 2 with $30.70.
summit555 is at seat 3 with $45.65.
Silver Book is at seat 4 with $56.60.
4TO1DOG is at seat 5 with $117.
Abellino is at seat 6 with $26.25.
martin048200 is at seat 7 with $47.25.
McSquiggs is at seat 8 with $24.10.
Big_Greg27 is at seat 9 with $49.70.
The button is at seat 0.

Pre-flop: RandomFlask is BB with 5s, 8c.
summit555 folds.

Silver Book folds.
4TO1DOG folds.
Abellino folds.
martin048200 folds.
McSquiggsfolds.
Big_Greg27 folds.
alange folds.
Abdul_Akhmed calls.
RandomFlask checks.

Flop (board: 2h Th 9d):
Abdul_Akhmed bets $1.
RandomFlask raises to $2.
Abdul_Akhmed re-raises to $7.
RandomFlask calls.

Turn (board: 2h Th 9d 8s):
Abdul_Akhmed bets $15.
RandomFlask goes all-in for$23.20.
Abdul_Akhmed calls.

River (board: 2h Th 9d 8s Ts):
(no action in this round)

Showdown:
RandomFlask shows 5s 8c.

RandomFlask has 8c Th 9d 8s Ts: two pair, tens and eights.
Abdul_Akhmed shows Kc Kh.
Abdul_Akhmed has Kc Kh Th 9d Ts: two pair, kings and tens.

Hand #40568179-5554 Summary:
$3 is raked from a pot of $61.40.

Abdul_Akhmed wins $58.40 with two pair, kings and tens.

I decided that he was trying to buy the pot after he insta-bet the flop, but I really should've slowed down once he reraised me, especially since I didn't have a large enough stack to push back with on later streets.

The worst part is that he probably decided to slow-play his KK specifically since he had seen me aggressively attacking weakness in the few hands prior. He set the trap and I fell right in.

I know that it's important to trust your instincts, but I didn't take any time to re-evaluate my initial read as the hand progressed because I was too preoccupied with defending my blind. I don't have these blow-ups too often, but I'm sure the losses will add up if I don't learn to let go from time to time.

No comments: