Sunday, April 29, 2007

Results Update - April 29, 2007

It's hard to believe that the AC trip was only a week ago; it feels like it's been months. My tournament success has continued since then, though nothing nearly on the scope of the Borgata score. I've also done well in NLHE cash games over the last several days, but my luck has been terrible in both PLO and PLO8:

Tuesday - In Captain G's $1/$2, I made $100 in the only 2 rounds of NLHE that we played. However, due primarily to 'variance' (aka shitty luck) in PLO8, I finished the night with a net loss of $320 despite playing like an absolute rock in an ultra-loose game.

Wednesday - In the Liz and Brandon $20 Freezeout, I chopped the pot 50/50 when I got heads-up with Liz ($80 net profit). Sorry; I just couldn't bring myself to play cutthroat poker with my girl.

Krumbine Thursday - As on Tuesday, I played well during the NLHE rounds but faltered at Omaha. We were playing PLO (Hi only) this time, but it was still the river that bit me. $37 net loss over 6.5 hours.

Friday - Played an impromptu NLHE cash game at a new location with several of the regulars from Krumbine Thursday. Good combination of cards and post-flop play for a net profit of $259 over 4.5 hours.

Saturday - One of the Krumbine Thursday regulars and his wife had a poker-themed baby shower, including a $40 NLHE freezeout. I made it to the final 3 of the 19-player field before agreeing to an even split ($210 net profit). I actually had a sizeable chip advantage at the time of the deal, but I wasn't about to try to negotiate a more equitable deal in the middle of a baby shower and among friends =)

In summary, I feel like my NLHE game is about as strong as it's ever been. For the first few months of the year, I think I had been trying too hard to make things happen regardless of the situation. Lately I've been more selective with my aggression and just let the game come to me. I'm in a real comfort zone right now as a result, and I hope that the strategy continues to pay off.

As for Omaha (both PLO and PLO8), I've been playing super-tight due to the loose nature of the games that I've played in, but I'm definitely calling too much in spots where I should either be raising or folding (including pre-flop). This has been especially true in PLO8 when I've had the nut low on disjointed boards. Because of my passive play, I've been getting quartered and/or counterfeited on the river by marginal Hi hands which would have folded to pressure on earlier streets. Of course, this could all just be yet another example of a Hold'em player trying to make sense of Omaha...

I've ordered a couple of books and have been browsing the 2+2 forums for information on both PLO and PLO8. If I don't improve soon, these losses could really start to eat into my overall profit.

No comments: