Friday, July 31, 2009

June 2009 Recap

Cash game net profit = -$120.00
Tournament net profit = $50.00
Total net profit = -$70.00

June was fairly uneventful, hence the late update. One thing worth noting, however, is that I've started to get back to truly studying and trying to improve my game, which is probably one of the better decisions I've made recently. At this point, I think the greatest challenge is playing often enough to keep the lessons fresh on the mind. I'm still making a few of the same mistakes over and over, and it's made me aware of just how quickly my discipline falters with even just a week or so off from poker. In particular, staying process-oriented is a skill which, at least in my case, seems to require almost daily maintenance/practice.

I think one contributing factor is how tight my budget has been in recent months. Between a few car repairs and some work done on the house, I've really had to dip into my poker bankroll, and the result is that I've too often been finding myself either playing "scared money" or pressing too hard to win more than my share of pots. This isn't the first time I've had to address this kind of problem, so I think it's about time to truly nail down some potential long-term solutions.

One option would be to go back to working 40 hour weeks, either by taking on a 2nd part-time job or finding another full-time job. Between a full-time salary and the nearly 180-degree change in my ridiculous old spending habits, the amount of progress I could make towards eliminating my existing debts quite honestly makes my head spin a little. The main problem with going back to a single full-time job is that getting back this part-time gig at any point in the future would not be a guarantee. As for finding a 2nd part-time job, I would almost certainly have to settle for a lower total salary. And in either case, I'd have to give up my current 3-days-a-week schedule, which I reluctantly admit has spoiled me significantly.

The other option would be to continue as I have been, grinding it out from paycheck to paycheck with the goal of gradually building a true bankroll whenever I have a decent session (and can avoid being hit by any unforeseen life expenses). The irony is that this option would probably be the best one as far as improving my actual poker game is concerned. But paying off my debts would then be incumbent upon achieving a high enough income from poker to offset what I lose by only working part-time at my 'real' job. And there's no telling how long that might take.

In the immortal words of Ron Burgundy, I am in a pickle...

I'll probably have to start by researching available job openings, both full-time and part-time. I get the feeling that I won't be making a final decision on this anytime soon.

System Check (monthly character assessment on a scale of 1 to 10):

Present-mindedness: 6 (no change)
As I mentioned earlier, there wasn't a whole lot to report from June, so this month's system check will remain unchanged.


Awareness: 5 (no change)

Physical fitness
: 5 (no change)

No comments: